Tu sei qui: Home The Territory Fortress of Vernio

Fortress of Vernio

The building complex can be reached on a paved road that branches off from the state road coming from San Quirico, before entering the town of Sasseta. This road leads to the northern part of the castle, which had a door that was demolished in the postwar period, and of which there remain only the traces of the frame. The Fortress of Vernio gives its name to the area around it, and dominates the towns of San Quirico and Sasseta. At present, only traces remain of the fortified structure, although the palazzo of the count and the group of houses around it, inside the castle walls, is still called Rocca (Fortress), or fortress. Today a private residence, the Fortress had military importance, as can be seen from the fourteenth-century statutes of the feud. Originally, the castle was vast and well structured for defense, but the military parts were repeatedly destroyed in the 14th-15th centuries during struggles that afflicted the territory of the ruins are still visible, and clearly indicate the vastness of the original structures. The medieval village is instead intact and well conserved. It consists of the residence of the feudatories and of a Chapel dedicated to Sant'Agata, built in 1556 and substantially remodeled in 1706. The Fortress can be visited upon agreement with the owners.

 

Azioni sul documento